Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 122 - 2009 Syrah - Second Racking

Crap. I thought I downloaded the pictures off my phone before I deleted them. Looks like that didn't really happen. Technology failed me again, or more likely, I failed technology.

What the pictures would show you is that there has been some yeast and other lees falling out of solution in the wine. It's been slowly piling up at the bottom of the carboys in a thin layer. These sediments are not nearly as thick this time around as they were for the first racking, but it's time to get them out of the wine and do some tasting to determine where to go next.

Based on the conversations with my fellow vinters, Saturday is going to be the day for the racking. If it's raining, it'll be inside otherwise be prepared for a driveway work-party and wine tasting.

We'll also need to figure out our oak expectations. The not quite fully-fleshed out plan seems to be we will oak some of the Syrah and leave some off of the wood. This will give us the ability to blend and adjust the flavor with the wine we have. It will also give us a few different styles of wine so we're not stuck with 38 gallons of all the exact style. This still needs to be further negotiated and agreed upon, but I'm looking forward to the next leg of the journey, starting this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment