Thursday, November 5, 2009

Syrah - Day 11- Preparations for Pressing

A little bit of prep is necessary to make the press go well. Last month, Luke and I had a good press day for our batch of Cab. The basis of that day was all the wine making steps leading up to the press day, but also securing the resources to make a press go smoothly. Nobody wants to be in the situation where you run out of capacity for your pressed wine and frantically find a stopgap solution.

Therefore, the past few days I've been trying to get everything in order to do our press. I've checked on rental rates for presses. I've purchased enough carboy capacity to hold our pressed wine, along with airlocks and stoppers. The garage space has been cleaned out. There are even beers chilling in the fridge to keep the labor refreshed. Looks like we're going to be ready to go as soon as the must drops below 1 Brix, though doubtlessly there'll be something I've forgotten along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment